Workspaces are a unknown part of the BusinessObjects environment and maybe also an underestimated part, Workspaces are created in the BI Launchpad. They can be used as landing page or they can be opened from the launchpad manually.
What I am going to show here is how to build a very simple workspace with templates.
Open the workspace editor using the Application menu in the BI Launchpad.
Click the layout dropdown box and change to Freeform.
On an empty workspace drag in a navigation list component.
Edit it using the wrench symbol in the top right corner and select 2 webi report. Or drag and drop 2 webi reports on the navigation list.
There it is, it’s done. Your first workspace. Now you can save it and execute it from the BI Launchpad. You do not have to save it, exiting edit mode gives you a change to test the new workspace.
When you click 1 of the reports on the navigation list, by default, the report runs it the total workspace window. Click the square symbol on the left side to return to the navigation list.
And when the other report is clicked:
If you want to run the webi report in a part of the workspace window, you need to drag in a viewer component. No configuration is needed, the are connected automatically.
Click one of the reports:
And click the other report:
If there are multiple navigation lists and multiple viewers on the workspace some configuration is needed.
I named the viewers top and bottom (using the edit / wrench of the viewers).
Then I connected each navigation list to a specific viewer. (using the edit / wrench of the navigation lists).
Query stripping is a nice option but it can be the cause of a lot of confusion. If you're not sure what query stripping is and how it works, here's a link to the SAP wiki page.
So I am working on a very sophisticated report, something like this:
I have switched query stripping on on both levels, document and query. Now I remove a few objects from the report and refresh it. As an indication that query stripping is active and that some of the objects in the query are not used on any report, the objects are highlighted in bold.
There was a special reason I removed these objects; I wanted to make Input Controls for them. But when I try to do that these objects are not visible:
I have also switched on the auto merge dimension option. I go into the query panel and duplicated my sophisticated query. Only the dimension that are on the report are merged:
I think I stick to the old method of cleaning up my report before it goes to production. (like back in the days when we had to remove all not used formulas, because they where all calculated at run time). And switch this stripping option off.
In an earlier blog I explained about positioning objects using anchors. In this blog I will give a example how this can be used.
I created an empty dashboard using the standard template: Desktop Template 1. When I execute this dashboard (locally) you can see the filter menu on the left side. Now when I make the browser smaller objects start to drop of on the bottom.
This is because all objects are in 1 cell and anchored on the top margin.
I need to add a grid, with multiple cells. Then I will have multiple anchor points as each cell (of the grid) border can act as an anchor point. This way objects can be anchored to different anchor points.
After adding the new grid layout into the grid cell that holds all the filter objects. I change the grid layout to fill the complete cell by setting all the border margins to 0 (and height and width to auto). Then I change the numbers of rows to 8. Each grid cell border can function as an anchor. As you can see below, there are more anchor points now. All the arrows are anchor points, the green arrows represent 2 anchor points. The bottom and top the different cells.
Now I move all filter objects into cells of the newly created grid. I must move all the objects I want to stick together in the same cell.
The moved objects still have the original (fixed) anchors to the top margin, which is now the top margin of the cell I just moved them into. This needs to be adjusted. Adjust each margin until the objects are positioned correct.
Make sure all objects you want to stick together are anchored to the same cell border. If you take a closer look at the previous screen prints you can see that the header text and the dropdownbox are anchored to the same cell border. This way it looks like they are glued together. The same goes for the radio button and header.
Now when I execute this dashboard and start re-sizing the browser you will the effect of this new structure. The newly added grid is on the left side and the original on the right. This way you can clearly see the before and after situation.